Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behaviour.
This code of conduct is open to any suggestions and criticism: we are happy to learn and improve.
We invite all who participate in our events to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone. Don’t be scared off by the rules! They’re in place to protect us, not to intimidate people from interacting with each other in a positive way.
Accessibility & Inclusion
A primary goal of all the events that refer to this Code of Conduct is to be inclusive to the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible.
We aim to make our events friendly, safe and accessible to all. In order to do this, we ask that all participants advise us ahead of time if they have any specific requirements that would make their experience with us equitable.
- Auslan interpreter
- Specific dietary catering
- Financial assistance with tickets
- Access to gender neutral bathroom
We encourage our community members to reach out to us with questions about the event space, about the facilitators, about who is or is not welcome in the space and about what actions we can and can not make so the space can be safer for marginalised groups.
Please Yourself Book Club is a diverse and active community. It is a space for individuals to talk about beautiful books and content as it relates to their lived experiences. It’s a space to listen and support each other.
We expect everyone who attends book club to understand and abide by the following rules:
- participate in an authentic way
- if you feel comfortable speaking, only share your own experiences
- actively listening when someone speaks
- exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions
- attempt collaboration before conflict
- be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
By doing this, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community while building each other up.
Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
In order to facilitate Please Yourself in a safe way, it’s important to communicate what this space is not for.
We understand that places of discussion can become enthusiastic and it’s easy to get carried away. However, facilitators will be guiding participants away from the following behaviours:
- providing unsolicited advice
- disagreeing with shared experiences or opinions on the content
- unnecessary politicisation of discussion
- sharing stories or experiences that are not a person’s own
- sharing stories or experiences that may not be appropriate for all participants
- engaging in an inauthentic, unkind or antagonistic manner
Unacceptable behaviours include speech or actions by any participant in our community that is:
- derogatory or demeaning
Community event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
- harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability;
- inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images (including presentation slides);
- inappropriate depictions of violence (including presentation slides);
- deliberate intimidation,
- stalking or following;
- harassing photography or recording;
- sustained disruption of talks or other events;
- inappropriate physical contact,
- and unwelcome sexual attention.
We will not discuss how your behaviour was meant. What we care about is how it makes our participants feel. Please just respect that if one of the participants is hurt by your behaviour, it is on you to change it or leave.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behaviour
Unacceptable behaviour from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behaviour is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behaviour, the community organisers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
If You Witness or Are Subject to Unacceptable Behaviour
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please notify a community organiser as soon as possible. You can find a list of organisers to contact for each of the supporters of this Code of Conduct at the bottom of this page. Additionally, community organisers are available to help community members engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behaviour feel safe.
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify one of the event organisers with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be handled in accordance with our existing governing policies.
It’s a requirement of attending our events that you understand you are responsible for your own actions and their repercussions as well as your belongings, your personal safety and your wellbeing. We are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury during an event.
We expect that all attendees at events consume alcohol responsibly. Any attendee not consuming alcohol responsibly or appearing intoxicated may be ejected from the venue without refund of their ticket.
Event Organiser Details:
0455 302 084
0412 391 832